Tuesday, May 01, 2007

an arrogant reading of scripture...

I have been reading in 2 Samuel and the Psalms as I work through David's life. I found myself getting a little arrogant as I read of David's struggles in 2 Sam 15. A little background:

His son, Absalom, has been turning the hearts of the people against David. The Bible says in v.12 that the "...conspiracy was strong, for the people increase continually with Absalom...". It was at this point that David tucks tail and runs.

He flees! What in the world is this? Is this not the giant slayer? Is this not the one of whom it was sung, "...Saul has killed his thousands, but David has killed ten thousands...?" Is this not the lion and bear slayer? Is this not the one who has experienced massive victories over the Philistines? Is this not the one to whom God said that He would establish His throne forever? (I could go on and on, but you get the point)

In 2 Samuel 5 we read, "...v.10 and David became greater and greater, for the LORD God of Hosts was with him...v.12...and David realized that the LORD had established him as king over Israel, and that He had exalted his kingdom for the sake of His people Israel..."

I wanted to bolt upright out of my chair and shout to David in chapter 15, "turn back to chapter 5... read it again!!" and then in that moment I realized that David and i are very much alike.

Oh, I wish I could say that I was like David in his conquests and quick repentance... but I am like him in his swift forgetfulness of the mighty working of God in his life. David's God hadn't changed, but David's perspective of Him did. God no longer could keep David safe - or so David thought. God could no longer be faithful - or so David's actions revealed. God could no longer be trusted - or so David's quick reaction to gather trusted servants and run tells us.

Where have I forgotten the mighty hand of God in my life? Where do I doubt the faithfulness of my God? Where am I trusting in my own understanding, rather than trusting the One who controls everything around me?

My prayer, for me - for you, is that we come back to a quick remembrance of the goodness of God in our life.

David did.

No comments: