Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day.

Yesterday it happened again. It hasn't happened for a while, but it did yesterday. In all places, it was the auto parts store. I was buying a light for the trailer I just built, and was getting checked out at the cashier's counter. The guy behind the counter smiled and kindly asked, "Would you like to buy a gift card for your dad?"

He didn't know. It just hit me weird. Dad has been gone now for three years, June 2nd. Three years and still I stood there.

I was awkwardly trying to figure out how to answer, and this guy just looked at me puzzled as I sputtered out a "No, that's okay". I thought I should tell him that my dad was dead. And it still hurts. But he was just trying to help me in my Father's Day purchases. He had no idea what was happening in my head.

As I was leaving the parking lot, my head still kind of reeling, this verse came to me: Psalm 68:3, "A father to the fatherless and a judge for the widows, Is God in His holy habitation." I understand what the verse means...and I guess I'm not really "fatherless", just separated from dad - but this verse was a real comfort to me yesterday.

My wife and kids made my father's day even sweeter. My wife purchased a Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bar for me, and my kids told me a couple times today, "Happy Father's Day, Dad". My oldest daughter, 8, even thanked God at our dinner prayer for today being Father's Day. And when I looked up upon her "amen", she was smiling at me.

It's been a good day. God is good all the time, and fills the voids left when death rips a hole in the soul.

No comments: