Friday, November 23, 2007

missed the "thanksgiving post"...

So, I missed the opportune "Thanksgiving Post" that so many bloggers get to do on Thanksgiving Day. Guess there is always next year, right? Yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, was a good day. It was a day we spent with some family and friends about 50 miles to the Northeast of where we live. We didn't have turkey for Thanksgiving - we had a dinner which we were thankful for, from the bounty of our own harvest. So that meant beef, chicken, veggies and homemade breads and desserts. It was a meal that recognized our dependence on our Sovereign Provider and one in which we thanked Him for His bountiful blessings throughout the year. We squeezed around a table with a burlap covering and a beautiful harvest themed centerpiece. The kids came and went as they do during the holidays - happy to spend time with cousins and friends. The adults enjoyed conversation, and realized that many of the 'new' adults were really just some of our kids who had grown up 'overnight' and now were planning new life ventures of their own. "...Time flies..." was repeated over and over, perhaps a gentle reminder to those of us with young children or a wistful memory of years too quickly passed.

Football.

Yes, we did watch the games yesterday. I say games, but I didn't think they were very close or competitive. I did get to experience HDTV for the first time in my life (I am behind the times I know), and was very impressed with the quality of the picture. I don't think I would want to be on HDTV - it's too realistic. Perhaps I should shed some of this holiday weight first!

Hunting.

I was able to take my freshman son hunting for the first time - just the two of us. We had been hunting together before, but usually with my seventh grade son along as well. We were graciously invited by my nephew to join him where he hunts his grandfather's farm. He let us share a very nice tree stand that accommodated both of us quite easily. It snowed very heavily throughout the afternoon and we didn't see any deer. We did see many squirrels, one feral cat and about 8 swans land in the field to the north of us. I was very thankful for the time alone with my son in the stand - we didn't get to talk much, but it was good. I treasure these times. We were about ready to leave when we heard a very close shot - and thought it might be my nephew. Turns out someone was shooting from the road and left before we were able to get there. That's dangerous - but thankfully we are watched over by a Sovereign Protector.

We are thankful for God's goodness to us on a daily basis - this day yesterday allowed us to concentrate on it a little more pointedly. God is good all the time, and all the time God is good - that's a phrase we used to say in our church all the time... but have gotten away from it's reminder. Perhaps we need to start that again.

Coffee.

Today I wrapped up my Costa Rican blend - actually had to mix in some of my Mocha Java from Gevalia. I think, due to the chilly weather & crazy shoppers, that I'll stay close to the fireplace and just drink this precious brew all day.

No comments: