Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Difference is Day and Night

I was reading Proverbs 4 today, and was reminded of the stark contrast between the righteous and the wicked. Here is what is said:

...But the path of the righteous is like the light of the dawn, that shines brighter and brighter until the full day. The way of the wicked is like darkness; they do not know over what they stumble...

A couple of observations:
1. I was reminded of what I call the 'snowball' effect that is mentioned in Romans 6:19. As we live righteously, we gain further righteousness, etc. The same is true adversely. It's a great verse. Basically the truth is that whatever path you choose becomes like a snowball heading down hill: righteousness leads to further sanctification & sin leads to further lawlessness.
2. I was also reminded of the fact that as we progress in righteousness, the path grows more clear. It is often that I hear myself or others say, "If God just told me what to do..."; well, he does. It's getting in His Word, letting it be light unto your feet and by taking these small steps of faith, the way becomes clearer and clearer. Clarity is dependent on right living.
3. The light of the dawn. Ever watched the sun rise? It is inevitable, right? It will come - you can't hold it back! The path of the righteous is the exact same way. There is no way of keeping the light from permeating your way when you are walking righteously. Sounds like 1 John doesn't it? Walk in the light as He is in the light?
4. v.18 of Proverbs 4 just reminds me of Daniel 12:3. There is a stark difference in the life of believers from the darkness of sinners & sin. If it's not noticeable in your life - it's time to do some testing of self. (2 Cor.13:5)
5. The alternative to this bright life of righteous living is being wicked and living in darkness. Note: there is no middle ground. You can't have a little light and a lot of darkness, or a lot of light and just a little darkness in your life. Life abolishes darkness and darkness will cover light - you cannot be with Christ and hold to that which is against Him. It is impossible.
6. The terrible disadvantage of being wicked and pursuing sin is that there is no clear direction in life, nor is there any safety. No-one likes to stumble around in the darkness... and yet many do spiritually. They fall quickly into Satan's snares and don't even realize what is happening. Again, 1 John 2 tells us that darkness blinds men's eyes so that they cannot see where they are going. What a discomforting feeling & existence to follow blindly after that which will only cause harm to yourself.

There is so much in Proverbs 4 to learn. These are just a few thoughts I've had this morning. Take some time and read through it for yourself, allowing the Word of God to be used by the Spirit of God to affect the will of God in your life. (I don't think that last statement is original with me - but I can't recall who said it)

On a side note, I received a call from my older brother (see pic here) and he got a job in Missouri which God simply provided. There is no other way to explain it. He was rejoicing in God's goodness, and I am also rejoicing with him. God moves through answered prayer! I continue in prayer for him that he will continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Also, we have been experiencing torrential rain & flooding in Warsaw, IN. My basement had flooded and I spent the day yesterday using a shop vac, fans and dehumidifiers to get it back in order. The rain had started up again as I went to bed last night, and I have yet to walk back down there to check the situation. It was seeping in again as I went to bed, but I gotta get my sleep!! God is good in that we didn't experience any real serious loss with the flooding.

Well, my java mug is empty. I must either refill or get going. Have a blessed day as you continue in total dependence on your Savior!

No comments: