Monday, January 14, 2008

Holding Hands with God - Ps.73

Here is a small selection from my church's scheduled reading in Psalm 73. The entire chapter is very encouraging, especially to the believer who is becoming disillusioned with the 'blessings' that the world seem to always have at hand. I found this selection comforting to me:

Psalm 73:23-26
23) Nevertheless I am continually with Thee; Thou hast taken hold of my right hand. (24) With Thy counsel Thou wilt guide me, And afterward receive me to glory. (25) Whom have I in heaven but Thee? And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth. (26) My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portio
n forever.

Some thoughts from this verse that struck me:
  • God never leaves us. He is continually with us. Reminds me of Hebrews 13:5, quoting Deuteronomy 31:6
  • He initiated the grasp of my hand. He is in control. I can rely on Him.
  • I need counsel in this life - God provides it for me and He guides me. I guess that's better then my GPS I'll be talking about here shortly.
  • The best of both worlds...literally. God guides me here on earth, and then receives me to glory, where I will be with Him eternally. Awesome!
  • Is there anyone else more powerful, more gracious, more merciful, more loving, more kind, more holy than my God? No. No-one in earth, or heaven. He is all I need.
  • My heart's prayer is that He becomes all I desire here on earth.
  • If I were to live this life in my flesh, I will fail. Miserably. However, if I rely on God and live a God-dependent life, I will prosper and succeed - for His glory!
God's word amazes me in how true to life and relevant it really is. Are you in it?

Yesterday I enjoyed a full day of worship with my 'family'. My immediate family has been able to attend only 3 of the last 7 weeks of Sunday worship at our church. Whether it was weather (snow & ice - 2 weeks) or illness or travel, we have just missed out. And I mean missed out. I love our church and its people. Yesterday as we were worshiping in song, I was once again amazed at how the words and music washed over me as I stood near the front. It was good to hear God's people lifting their voices in praise to Him.

Last night I was able to preach a 'short' sermon on Prayer from Ephesians 6:18-24. I entitled it, "Pray on my behalf...", a direct quote of Paul's. I pray that it encouraged many as it did me preparing for it. I have seen God move quite clearly in my life already this year.

Today I am planning on purchasing a birthday present for myself. It is the Garmin Nuvi 350. A really neat GPS system - my brother received one for Christmas and I was immediately enthralled with it. I am such a techie - or perhaps more accurately, a gadget-guy. I have researched this one out and think I am making the right choice for the money I have. It is a little more expensive then what I would normally spend on myself, but I have had some money come in and I think I have found a great deal. Besides, you only turn 40 once. (That's a whole different post). I know my birthday isn't until February, but c'mon, when the deal is there you have to move!

Since Mondays are my day "off", I made some scrambled eggs with Mozeralla cheese and doubled the intake of Java. Gevalia's Dark Roast again - I am nearing the bottom of this bag, so will have to move onto something else shortly.

Have a great day & inhale deeply the steam that rises from your mug!

No comments: