Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Watch & don't forget!

In our Bible reading for today (using our church's Bible reading plan), I read Deuteronomy 6:1-18. While our intent and focus was to be on "teaching children", I drew some other applications to my own life.

In verses 1 & 2, we see the model for discipleship. The model is laid out this way:
1. (v.1) Instruction = Knowledge received. - "...this is the commandment, the statutes and the judgments, which the Lord your God has commanded me to teach you..."
2. (v.1) Action = Knowledge employed. - "...that you might do them..."
3. (
v.2,7) Reproduction = Knowledge given. - "...so that you and your son..." & "...you shall teach them diligently to your sons..."

Also, throughout this passage is the abundance of blessing that comes with obedience. The Israelites would received incredible material blessing as they heeded the commands of YHWH. So too, the believer today receives incredible blessings in their obedience to God's word. No, not material blessings, but the abundant life that Jesus spoke of in John 10.

Interesting points, but let's look at what struck me the most this morning:
Deut.6:12 - "...watch yourself, lest you forget the Lord..."

This warning comes at the end of a list of blessings for the Israelites. As they would obey God's commands about moving into the Promised Land, they would receive:
  • great and splendid cities which they did not build
  • houses full of good things which they did not fill
  • hewn cisterns which they did not dig
  • vineyards and olive trees which they did not plant
  • and, they would "...eat and be satisfied..."
Did you catch it? In the list of the blessings from YHWH would come the very thing that could cause them to forget Him. Satisfaction. I made this notation in my Bible: With satisfaction can come complacency. It's still true today. God brings me to a point where I am enjoying my relationship with Him, things are going good... and then I forget what got me to this point. I forget the very things that are important in maintaining.

That's why Moses wrote v.12: "...then watch yourself, lest you forget the LORD who brought you from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery..." How easy it is to forget where we came from (bondage to sin) and how we received incredible blessings from God (obedience to His commands) and become complacent in our daily relationship with the Lord.

Take this warning to heart! Watch yourself! Don't forget!! The one curse found in Deuteronomy 6 comes in v.15, "...for the LORD your God in the midst of you if a jealous God; otherwise the anger of the LORD your God will be kindled against you, and He will wipe you off the face of the earth..." God jealously desires one on one commitment to obedience to Him from those He has delivered from bondage.

Think on these things, let them shape your heart.

Today I am again drinking my Dark Roast Gevalia. I use three scoops of beans in my grinder to bring this brew to perfection. (That's three scoops of java beans that get brewed into one large mug). Pretty strong, but intensely enjoyable!

I have decided to take part in Indiana's Lose 10 in 10 program. It is a program designed to encourage Hoosiers to lose ten pounds in ten weeks. Perhaps I'll post my progress as time goes by. Right now I am just trying to count calories. I may end up losing 10 in like 30 weeks!

No comments: