Monday, May 19, 2008

1 Thessalonians 5:9, 10

1 Thessalonians 5:9-10
9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, that whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with Him.

Let's think devotionally about these verses:
  • God has not destined us for wrath - How blessed I am, and undeserving, of the grace of God. Not that I am good in and of myself, but because of His mercy He is saving me.
  • but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ - There is salvation in no other name, no other person, but the Person of Jesus Christ. How true the words of my Savior, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life"
  • who died for us - How precious the broken body and shed blood of Jesus Christ! It is through this awesome sacrifice that I am being saved!
  • that whether we are awake or asleep - Eternal life is NOW continuing into the 'future'!
  • we may live together with Him - Threaten me with death? There is no sweeter threat! Not only do I have the blessed hope of being in the presence of my Savior and Lord in the near future, but I also have the blessed assurance and comfort of His Spirit which indwells me and fills me to do His will.
I love God's Word and I will continual place my trust in my sovereign Lord to bring me to His presence.

No comments: