Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A half-day's work:

This morning my coffee pot (my alarm) went off at 6:45 a.m. I struggled to get out of bed. I was well on my way to work this morning by 7:30 and had already accomplished one task: "fixing" the water heater. There is a gray "smart box" on top of the water heater that controls so many different things; it was this box that kept tripping the "water too hot" signal. I bled off the hot water (and it was really hot!) and then reset the box and it seemed to do the trick. By 10:00 a.m. I received a call from my wife about our sump pump not working. Seems it seized up and wasn't doing it's job. A quick trip to Lowe's to replace it (I had just installed it in February) and we were back in business. When I got home to switch out the pumps, the house smelled awful. Like burnt something or other. My wife had had a grease fire and threw the pan out the side door, along with the foot-high flames. This is not proper handling of a grease fire. Here is a site that can explain to you how to deal with grease fires, both out of control and those not yet out of control. It's very important to know what to do. My wife's grandmother had a grease fire that burnt a good portion of her home, as well as took her life, all due to mishandling of the fire. Please, please educate yourself to these things! After leaving the house to return to work, I saw some money blowing across the highway. I stopped, turned around and picked up a folded.....$1 bill. Good times! (all this happened before noon today!)

I thank God for watching over my family these past several hours. From providing us with the ability and resources to fix/replace household items to safely guiding us through small 'emergencies' God has been faithful. He alone is worthy of our praise.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Sounds like you had a busy morning. For some inexplicable reason, my "small" projects usually end up taking half the day and several trips to Lowe's.